Thursday 17 August 2017

Goodbye Holland - The last post!



Well, this is it - my time in Holland has come to an end, as I fly back home to England tomorrow. In my last post, I want to make this as a more of a ''tribute'', and give you an inside to my Dutch life inside and outside of work.

When I applied for this 6 internship, I really wasn't expecting to be the person to actually go to Holland, and work out there for that duration. I was just expecting not to progress any further, and someone else would go to Holland ..... but oh boy, I was so wrong!!


My main reason why I decided to apply, and take the plunge was the inspiration of Mum who passed away from terminal cancer nearly 2 years ago now.
She has inspired me of certain things, such as to not be afraid of the small things that may hold some people back (this used to be me, and I would make any excuse to get out of anything new/out of my comfort zone), to enjoy every moment that you experience no matter how small it may be. But the most important thing that mum gives me inspiration for me is that life is too short. The phrase that I keep close to my heart is ''work hard, play hard''. I believe that if someone has an opportunity that is too good to turn down, then I believe that opportunity needs to be taken without hesitation!

Just please, don't doubt yourself, or worry about the small things that you may think that might hold you back. The only thing that you will achieve when turning down a opportunity is regret. Don't let regret take over - fill it instead with fantastic moments and experiences that you can treasure for the rest of your life.



When I first started working in Holland, I must admit, I did struggle, as the language difference was a problem. My first experience was shopping, and trying to ask for my receipt, which did take a few moments to try and describe what a receipt was, but I got there! As time went on, this eventually became one of my favourite experiences over the past 6 weeks. The Dutch are good at speaking English, but sometimes they could struggle. They would try and describe the word to me, as I would try and work it out.

As well as words, I was also asked to sing some English songs by some of the younger people, which included Old McDonald, we wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday!

I was very fortunate to work at 2 nurseries in Holland. Normally the internship is only based at 1 nursery. This really helped gain more knowledge with looking after plants on a big and small size in a nursery. As well as this, this has given me the opportunity to try and explore new methods within looking after plants as well.


I have been very well looked after within this duration as well, and have made plenty of new friends along the way. I have always been invited to go out, such as playing football, play pool, ride a moped, or even simply have a beer one evening. These have been great friends, that I will defiantly keep in contact with, and hopefully one day see them again.

My hosts where I have been staying as well have been very friendly and welcoming as well. I couldn't have asked for better hosts. Again, Henny and Louis have looked after me very well. Every time I get back in from work, Henny will have the kettle on for me ready for my cup of tea!

Getting up at 5:30 every morning for 6 weeks has been another fantastic experience. I have loved watching the sun rise as I cycle to work every morning. This has certainly been a healthy routine to get into. It will certainly get me in a routine of getting up more early when I go back to, but maybe not 5:30!
 


I have also learnt a lot about myself throughout my time in Holland, which has really opened my eyes and made me realise of certain aspects about myself, but luckily, most of these aspects are positive in many ways!


I am so glad that I went for this opportunity. I really couldn't have asked for so much of a great and perfect time in Holland. I would really recommend anyone who hasn't been abroad before (like me!) to go to Holland as your first experience abroad. It's only the small things that make Holland different to England, but oh my, what a beautiful country it is to visit! Everyone is so friendly towards you, and will make your stay very welcoming like I have witnessed for the past 6 weeks. But most of all is that Holland has striking landscapes, which should never be missed out if you are over there. Even if you are only outside for an hour, you'll defiantly witness fantastic scenery that you will not see in England, such as dikes, sunsets and peace and tranquil.


Finally, I just want to take this moment to thank some people who have personally helped/supported me throughout this process.

Dad and Beth: Thank you for giving the help I needed when I have struggled with the small things that looked possible to you, but not to me. I couldn't ask for a better family with your encouragement and support. No other words can describe you both - both of you are out of this world!!


Alberto and Gerard: Both of you really made my time at Batouwe and Holland really enjoyable. Thank you for letting me join in certain activities outside of work. It was great and touching to hear some of your stories that you shared with me - these will not be forgotten. I wish you all of the best with your futures.

Gerrit: Thank you keeping me in contact with information and answering my questions before I came to Holland. Thank you for also orgainsing my placements at Batouwe and Huverba. Thank you for inviting me to have a game of pool the first week I arrived, which was great fun!

Wyevale nurseries/Stephen Ashworth: I just really want to thank both of you for having the trust in me for this internship. This has certainly been a once in a life opportunity. Thank You Stephen for finding these 2 fantastic nurseries that I have worked in, and for keeping in contact with throughout. I really couldn't have asked for a much better time!!



Well, there you go folks! I hope that you have enjoyed reading my blogs for the past 6 weeks. It has been great sharing my news with everyone through this way. Below are a selection of pictures throughout my duration in Holland.

Bedankt iedereen en tot ziens, Josh :)


2 comments:

  1. Josh I am so glad you've had what looks like an amazing time in Holland! I watched you go from Level 1 all the way through to Level 3 at Pershore and you should be so proud of how far you have come. All the best for the future, I am sure you will go far! Rosie (Slater!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Josh, It has been observed well that a lot of the learning process is locked into insightful reflection and sharing after the learning event - your final blog demonstrates that so well. We in TRS GMT thank God for you and your skills and abilities as you have thrown yourself into new experiences His providence has gifted you with.
    We look forward to seeing how your Holland experience works as a springboard for the way ahead for you. We will be looking not as "balcony watchers" observing life passing by below, but as fellow workers with you who share the same passion and delight in God and His creation, worked out with 90% perspiration and 10% inspiration - learners with "TRUE GRIT" we hope": https://www.ted.com/talks/angela_lee_duckworth_grit_the_power_of_passion_and_perseverance

    Eternal Regards,
    Bill on behalf of TRS GMT
    Psalm 100

    ReplyDelete