Friday 14 July 2017

First week of working completed!




Where to begin?! I have just finished my first week at Batouwe Nurseries! It's certainly been hard work, but I have enjoyed every moment, by gaining new techniques and experiences that we in England may not know about, weather if it's working in a Nursery, or not.

When I first arrived at Batouwe, I must admit that I did find it hard, as the environment was different to other Nurseries that I have worked in at England. Also the difference in language was another problem. Luckily this wasn't too much of a problem, as members of Batouwe Nurseries speak English.


As I explained in the last post of my blog, I have made some friends. Gerard and Alberto have been fantastic, as they speak very good English, and have also been very welcoming by inviting me to play football Wednesday evening, which they kindly gave me a spare football kit. Gerard will mostly be working with me for my time at Batouwe Nurseries, as again, if I have any problems with understanding instructions, he can easily translate for me!
It's been fun to help Gerard and Alberto learn some new English words, such words as wheelbarrow, broom/brush and sweeping.
I have also been learning some basic Dutch words, which I am trying to use more often, so that I can speak to more people who can't speak English.



One of the different things that Holland do that England doesn't when working, is that shoes must be taken off when entering the staff room at all times. I think that England should apply these rules to their staff members as well.


I am really enjoying the food in Holland! I have been trying some new food this week. I tried some bitter balls (Bitterballen) after playing football. The best way to describe them is they look like small Scotch eggs, with the centre being like raw dough. They contain beef/veal, beef broth, butter, flour, parsley, salt and pepper as well.
There are some English comfort foods out in Holland, but slightly different. I found Percy pig sweets in a supermarket, but instead of pigs, they are clown faces (Clowns hoofdjdes) - scary looking, but nice!!


A Friday tradition at Batowe Nurseries is that we have chips for lunch. They are slightly different in England, but still taste great. Another tradition at the Nursery is after work, beer is brought in to celebrate a weeks completed at work. We also play table football as well, which is great fun!



I am going out later this evening with Gerrit (who picked me up and gave me the tour of the Nursery on Monday) for a game of pool. The Dutch are very hospitable, and it's an honour to be staying in their country for the next five weeks!

Have a good weekend everyone, God Bless, Josh

1 comment:

  1. Good Morning Josh, Thank you for keeping us all updated on your progress as we watch with avid interest your further immersion into horticulture and (Dutch) culture. We delight in Holland, perhaps we are biased as our Son-in-Law Dennis is Dutch - it is a beautiful country and the people are indeed hospitable.
    Keep going with the grain of the experiences that are presented to you and keeping a journal about them. It is great to keep an insightful journal of what happens to us in life, as all of it is written into our characters one way or another - all of life is indeed a "Growing medium" Josh-ENJOY.
    Eternal and Prayerful Regards from your TRS GMT buddies
    Psalm 19

    ReplyDelete