Friday 28 July 2017

Goodbye Batouwe Nurseries




Well, today was my last day at Batouwe Nurseries. It only felt like yesterday that I started working here! What's even more crazy, is that I am also halfway through my time in Holland. So far it has been one of the best and biggest experiences that I have ever encountered.
I am so glad that I encouraged myself to do this, as I have no regrets what so ever!!  



This week, I have been working in the tree department at the nursery. This has helped me gain more knowledge and experience working with trees. Most of the trees at Batouwe are in pots, as these are small in size (also known as whips). I have mostly been helping out with giving the trees some support with bamboo canes. This involved cutting back the side branches, tying the trunk to the bamboo cane, and then finally securing the new growth with a max tapener (a handy tool when it wants to work!). We normally get about 500 trees done in a day.

As working in a new department this week, I have also been getting to know more people as well, which is great as always. I have been continuing to teach people some English words that they haven't heard before. I have also liked the challenge with trying work out an English word, which they only know in Dutch (no help with Google translate!). It has also been great to listen to other peoples stories everyday, and understand the Dutch culture even more.



On Wednesday evening, me and some people that I have worked with at Batouwe decided to drive around the area on some scooters! The scenery was fantastic, as was the weather! I have never driven a scooter before, so I was kind of nervous with the fear of falling off! Well, yes, you guessed it, I did fall off, but luckily I wasn't going fast and just lost my balance. Just a couple of grazes, which were sorted out quickly. I would defiantly do it again (not falling off!).

Today, Dad arrived in Holland ready to spend the weekend with me. It was great, as I managed to show him around Batouwe. He was amazed by the whole production of the nursery. Dad also joined in with the Friday tradition of having a beer, whilst getting to now the people that I have word with.


I just want to thank everyone again at Batouwe nurseries for these past 3 weeks, by making me feel welcomed, and also the knowledge and experience that I have gained. It has been the best!!

 I have also  visited​ the other nursery (Huverba) that I will be working at for the last 3 weeks, which I am looking forward to.

Have a good weekend everyone, God bless, Josh

'The scooter gang of Batouwe' (Photo credit to Alberto) 
So many trees!!
Great scenery from scooter riding 

4 comments:

  1. Good Evening Josh,
    Hey! You really are packing in the experiences: horticultural, relational, cultural, linguistic and travel - Josh on a scooter, awesome.
    Yes, you need to continue your adventure of life Josh, including moving from one nursery to another, but the experiences and the learning and the joy ARE and will be forever written into your DNA. Great news about your Dad visiting you again Josh - enjoy the time together.
    We have been very busy and blessed in this past week as the GMT @ TRS culminating in a presentation and walkabout meeting on Friday evening, PTL, it went really well. This including finally getting the CC Lewis memorial gates back to TRS.
    This week even more is going on with a project meeting on Tuesday night with the nominated trustee to consider the way ahead for the greenhouse project; + on Wednesday we have x4 people who are assessors with the National Garden Scheme to review our application to be a part of that scheme.
    We are thankful that you are a vital and respected part of the GMT Josh and we look forward to your return and to seeing in what manner your career will proceed in the Grace of God.
    Enjoy and be blessed in your next placement Josh as you develop your skills and knowledge - keep safe and stay well we pray, TYL,amen [Psalm 1].

    Eternal Regards,
    Bill and the members of TRS GMT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bill for keeping me updated with all of the exciting news going on at TRS and GMT. Can't wait to be involved again!

      Delete
  2. Josh,

    It was very pleasure to meet you. Hopefully your knowledge has been inproved and maybe we will see each other once again.

    Kind regards,
    Team Batouwe Nurseries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you once again! Everyone was so friendly and helpful towards me, which made my time at Batouwe great.
      I hope to visit you before I leave Holland.

      Delete